There is nothing more frustrating than running water in your sink, only to realize that the water is not draining properly. Here at John Henry’s Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning, we know how much of a headache this can be. There are so many different reasons a pipe can become clogged. In most cases, a person will decide to use commercial pipe and drain cleaners in hopes of clearing away the clog. Sometimes this can work, but it’s usually only a short-term fix and can potentially lead to further damaging of the pipes. This can lead to a more expensive repair in the near future.
If your clogged drains are too severe for general drain cleaning, we also offer hydrojetting services for the toughest clogs around.
Why Should I Call A Professional?
In some cases food particles aren’t the cause of clogged drains. In a situation like this, commercial products and drain cleaners will not do the job. This is when it’s a good idea to call a professional like our plumbing specialists here at John Henry’s. Sometimes the cause of clogged drains can be due to foreign objects being logged in the pipes. Hair, feminine products, paper towels, and even toys are some of the few types of items that are found to be the cause of many backed up drains.
These types of stoppages obviously cannot be resolved by using any type of drain cleaner. In fact, in a situation like this, using a drain cleaner could make matters much worse. This tends to happen when the cause of the blockage is unknown and it is assumed that using a drain cleaner will help. It’s important not to chance it and make that mistake. It can cost you in the long run.
Calling one of our professional plumbers to access your drainage issues can prevent unnecessary damage to your home’s draining system. We will be able to examine the blockage and determine the most appropriate measures of resolving it and getting your system running again.
What’s Causing Your Clogged Drains?
When you choose to let one of our certified specialists examine the blockage in your home’s drainage system, you minimize the likelihood of further damage being done to your home. Here at John Henry’s we know how to properly access the blockage and determine the correct and most effective way of solving the issue.
Some of the most common causes of clogged drains include;
- Grease blockages- Never get in the habit of pouring grease down the sink. We’re sure you’ve heard this lots of times before, but it’s extremely important if you want to extend the life of your pipes and not run into issues with blockages.
- Hair clogs- This one is a little harder to avoid. Hair can easily build up in your drains without you even noticing. Everytime we shower, small amounts of hair make their way down the drain. Overtime, this can lead to a clog preventing the water from draining properly in your shower.
- Tree roots- Some owners are surprised when they find out that the cause of their backed up drainage system was actually overgrown roots. This can happen because tree roots love to go wherever there is water. If your pipes have a leakage, tree roots can begin growing in that direction. Eventually, this can cause the pipe to become bent or crushed by the root. This is an example of a case where using commercial drain cleaners will simply not work.
- Settling and Slope Problems - Low spots, poor connections, or inadequate slope to a line are usually caused by improper installation. Typically, the conditions caused by these defects do not cause problems for many years. Once they do arise they require ever more frequent attention. Because the flow of water is slowed by these restrictions, heavy materials or grease settle and build up to cause sludge. This sludge traps foreign objects where they might otherwise have passed.
- Broken or Collapsed Lines - Damage can be caused by nearby construction or as a result of excessive root growth, improper connections, or other installation defects. When this condition is verified it is normally advisable to replace the damaged portion of the line.