Approximately 5% of the population possibly will not die prematurely or suffer health issues associated with indoor air quality, so they do not need to read this article. That 5% are the ones that are feeling incredibly great with zero health concerns today. They live in homes with no indoor air quality issues. That leaves approximately 95% or more that definitely should read this article!

We probably know that 95% group of those suffering from indoor air quality issues all too well. We’ve heard and observed “them” with their sneezes, scratchy throats, coughing, watering eyes, and complaints of being tired with that blah feeling. Odds are we are one of them to some degree.

The problem is we live, work, shop, and spend 90% of our time indoors in various places while being exposed to poor quality indoor air that is invisible. Over 90% of our homes and buildings have at least one indoor air quality (IAQ) issue that is not known. Many homes have multiple IAQ issues. So what are those issues and how do we fix them?

Issues that are known tend to get fixed. A great solution to measure air quality is a relatively new device called AirAdvice. It makes the invisible air problems visible in reports. AirAdvice accurately measures levels of chemicals, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, temperatures, relative humidity, and particles in the air. Once the issues are known, solutions can be made to improve air quality.

A great example of the benefits of knowing air quality is a heartwarming story of how AirAdvice helped improve a former Husker athlete’s deteriorating health. “Beth” was an incredibly great athlete in excellent physical health. Shortly after graduation, she moved into an apartment building and her health deteriorated dramatically. “Beth” eventually was at risk of becoming disabled. Doctors struggled with solutions before her father brought AirAdvice to the rescue.

“Beth” was fortunate to have a concerned father that was employed in the heating and air conditioning trade. He used Air Advice to monitor the air quality and immediately discovered very high levels of particles in the air that were coming from an area outside of “Beth’s” apartment.

In this particular case, the air particles were from a dangerous black mold coming in through cracks near the foundation. Improvements needed to be made. The cracks were sealed, ducts were cleaned, air filtration was improved, and Ultraviolet (UV) lights were installed. “Beth’s” health quickly improved, and she is back to normal today.

Are you suffering from allergies or asthma? Particles in the air that contribute to allergies and asthma can be mold, pet dander, dust, bed bugs, dead skin particles, and a disgusting list of other things that go on and on. Particles can also cause lung disease, lung cancer, and respiratory infections. Why not consider getting a professional opinion of the quality of your air to at least get a better understanding of potential causes before it is too late?

A call to John Henry's Plumbing, Heating, Air, and Electrical can make this possible. John Henry's Plumbing, Heating, Air, and Electrical cares about the health of our community and purchased Air Advice units for all their HVAC service technicians. At no additional cost, the Air Advice units are set in place at the beginning of a heating and air conditioning service call. Within a ½ hour, a report is available that can be shared with the customer. It can also be mailed or e-mailed as requested. Who else but John Henry's Plumbing, Heating, Air, and Electrical goes that extra mile?

One common pollutant discovered by Air Advice has been high chemical levels in homes and businesses. The off gassing of these chemicals is called Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs). A recent article in the Lincoln Journal Star indicated that very few chemicals are regulated and checked out properly. We have no idea how these chemicals are affecting us!

Why should we be concerned about things like chemicals in the air? Common sense tells us something is causing health issues like increases in cancer, behavioral issues, and the list goes on. The reality is our world has changed dramatically and we need to adjust to improve our risks for survival.

Although some may say, “why worry about things like indoor air quality since something will kill me eventually?” A better approach is to kick that issue down the road as far as we can. It makes sense to be proactive with choices that help us live longer and healthier. My goal is to watch all 14 grandkids get married and raise responsible families!

company icon